How to Light Ooni Pizza Ovens (Easy Methods)
By Robert Parsons March 13th, 2023
You can’t make homemade pizza without a good oven. And for many home cooks nowadays, there’s no better pizza oven manufacturer than Ooni.
These are by far the most popular option for home pizza connoisseurs. But if you finally bought one of these for yourself, you may ask yourself, “how do I light my Ooni pizza oven?”
Because of its unique modern design, many users have difficulty sparking up their Ooni oven.
That said, lighting an Ooni oven is pretty simple, though the exact method may vary depending on the model you have at home.
So today, we’re looking at a few of the most popular Ooni ovens on the market and explaining how to light each of them. That way, you can start making your pizzas in no time at all.
Read on to learn more!
How to Light Different Ooni Pizza Ovens
Ooni is one of the most popular pizza oven brands today. And one of the reasons for this is that they have a wide range of different ovens that all make great pizzas. However, lighting up your Ooni oven may look different depending on the model you have.
There are numerous Ooni pizza ovens. But today, we’re looking at the most popular options and explaining all the steps to firing them up.
Let’s get into it.
Ooni Karu 12
The Karu 12 is one of Ooni’s most popular models. And one of the unique features of this model is that it can use multiple fuel sources. When you have a Karu 12, you can fuel it with wood, charcoal, and propane. So, let’s look at how to light these ovens using different types of fuel.
With Wood or Charcoal
To light up the Ooni Karu 12 with wood or charcoal, start by:
1) Removing the front door and chimney cap to ensure good airflow
2) If using wood, create a small structure with hardwood in the fuel tray and place a couple of firestarters
3) If using charcoal, place one to two lumps of charcoal on the tray and put a firestarter on top
4) Place the tray back inside the oven
5) Light the firestarters then close the oven hatch
6) Once the fuel burns, wait 10 minutes for the fuel to burn cleanly
7) Use a temperature probe to determine when the oven is at the optimal cooking temperature (426-510 degree Celsius)
If you’re using propane, here are the steps to lighting the Ooni Karu 12:
1) Remove the chimney cap and front door and keep it open at all times
2) Remove the defender plate from the back of the oven
3) Tighten the screws with an allen key to attach the propane burner
4) Get your propane hose and attach it to the back of your Ooni oven
5) Push the dial and twist it slowly until you hear a clicking sound
6) Hold the dial for 5-6 seconds
7) If the flame doesn’t light right away, wait 15-30 seconds and try again
8) Wait for your oven to reach the desired temperature and start cooking
The Ooni Pro is the brand’s flagship model. And just like the Karu 12, it uses multiple fuel sources. So, here’s how to light your Ooni Pro oven with different fuel sources. Let’s start with wood and charcoal.
Using Wood and Charcoal
1) Fill the fuel tray with 10-12 pieces of hardwood or a few handfuls of charcoal. You can also use a combination of wood and charcoal as long as you make sure that you don’t overfill the tray
2) Place a couple of fire starters in the pile and slide them into the oven
3) Light the fire starters and close the fuel door
4) Close the glass oven door while keeping the chimney flap open
5) Wait for the oven to heat up and use a thermometer to gauge the temperature
You can only use propane with the Ooni Pro if you have the gas burner attachment. If you have the attachment, here are the steps to lighting the oven:
1) Remove the fuel tray and the oven door
2) Replace the oven door with the open metal front plate (sometimes called the pizza door)
3) Attach the propane burner to the back of the oven and tighten the screws so it doesn’t fall out
4) Connect the hose to your propane tank
5) Close the chimney cap
6) Press down on the dial and slowly turn it counterclockwise. You should hear a click and see flame lights.
7) Hold the dial for a few seconds before releasing
8) Set the temperature dial and wait for the oven to heat up
Ooni Fyra 12
The Ooni Fyra 12 is a pellet-fueled oven. So, it works a bit differently than other Ooni models as you can only use Oonie-approved pellets as the fuel source. That said, this is also one of the easiest Ooni models to use and light.
Here’s how to light up the Ooni Fyra 12:
1) Place two scoops of Ooni hardwood pellets in the fuel tray
2) Put a fire starter at the front of the fuel tray
3) Light the fire starter and slide into the tray
4) Fill in the pellet hopper until it’s full
5) Wait for the temperature inside the oven to rise
6) Gradually add more pellets to the hopper as needed
The Ooni Fyra 12’s fuel tray automatically refills as long as there are pellets in the hopper. When done cooking, make sure to let the flame die naturally and for the oven to cool down before cleaning it up.
What Fuel Should I Use in My Ooni Pizza Oven?
Different Ooni models require different fuel sources. For example, models like the Ooni Karu 12 are compatible with wood, charcoal, and propane. This gives you a lot of flexibility and allows you to choose the most accessible and practical fuel source.
On the flip side, models such as the Ooni Fyra 12 only use wood. On top of that, this particular model requires you to use Ooni-compatible hardwood pellets, which can be hard to find. But if you can access them, these are very efficient fuel sources for your pizza oven.
So, when deciding which fuel to use for your Ooni, it’s best to refer to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
But if you’re using wood or charcoal, make sure to only buy the highest-quality options for the best pizzas.
Lighting an Ooni oven is complicated, but the process varies depending on the model. So, if you’re ready to light up your Ooni oven for the first time, feel free to come revisit this comprehensive guide. And if you already have your Ooni oven, all that’s left to do is follow these steps and get cooking!