How to Eat Pizza Properly (A World Pizza Tour!)
You love pizza and you’ve tried it everywhere. From New York’s classic slice to pizzas topped with seafood in Tokyo, you’re a certified global gourmand when it comes to this beloved dish.
But have you ever stopped to consider that there might be a right way – or even several right ways – on how best to enjoy a pizza no matter where your culinary journey takes you?
If not, then don’t worry – I’ve got all the information here for you! In this blog post, we’ll take an international look at how different cultures savour their pies and provide tips on how to eat pizza like a true local wherever your travels may lead. So what are you waiting for?
Let’s get started and find out just how diversely delicious the world of pizza can truly be!
How do Italians eat pizza with forks and knives?
It’s time to relish in the delightful Neapolitan-style pizza you’ve been waiting for, so let me tell you how real Italians enjoy their slices.
- – As soon as your pie reaches the table, ready yourself with a knife and fork! Refusing to start eating until it has cooled is an enormous affront to whoever prepared it – so no need for that awkward wait any longer!
- – Subsequently, if your pizza isn’t already split into slices, take a triangle-shaped piece. Cut off the pointy end of that slice and place it in your mouth right away. Progressively work up to the crust, cutting smaller pieces as you move along.
- – When it comes to Neapolitan-style pizzas, the crust is just as essential as the toppings. Therefore, don’t forget to savour every single bite! After your pizza has cooled off and there’s only a small portion of your slice remaining, you are more than welcome to pick it up with your hands and enjoy it that way.
- – But wait, don’t let the other slices go to waste! Keep going through this delicious process until you’ve devoured every last bit of pizza. That’s right – true Italians never miss out on a single bite.
This is the authentic way to eat a Neapolitan-style pizza with a fork and knife like an Italian would. Take your time while enjoying each flavour-packed morsel and respect the hard work that went into making it by eating it as soon as possible after taking it out of the oven.
How to eat pizza in the US (especially in New York)?
Are you eager to experience scrumptious pizza like a true New Yorker? Then welcome aboard! In NYC, pizza is not just food; it’s an intrinsic part of one’s life. You’ll easily find pizzas around every corner.
When it comes to savouring pizza in New York, you must know the local customs. Primarily, slices are king! Thusly, unlike other cities where you buy a pizza and share it with others at your table – in NYC pizzerias offer individual slices as well as whole pies. So get ready to customize your meal; pick out those toppings and order slice by slice!
Now that you’ve got your delicious slices in front of you, it’s time for the most important part: eating.
- – To begin with proper etiquette and to avoid making a mess, take hold of your slice with both hands and carefully fold it lengthwise – this will keep all those toppings from falling out!
- – When it comes to New York pizza, don’t overdo it on the toppings. Best practices dictate that you stick to two or three maximum for an ideal slice of cheesy goodness. A classic combination is a pepperoni, mushrooms, and black olives – a flavour profile that pairs perfectly together. Too many toppings can make your slice hard to eat and even heavier than expected!
- – Don’t be scared to get a bit messy! Eating pizza is an interactive experience, and you should take your time with it. Revel in the deliciousness of each bite, and embrace the moment.
And honestly, if you happen to have some sauce or cheese on your chin when done? That’s all just part of the fun!
How to eat pizza in other Europe countries (apart from Italy)?
When travelling to Europe with pizza on your mind, do some research beforehand to ensure you know what kind of toppings and styles are available. Pizza in these different countries may be quite distinct from the classic version we all know and love here!
- – In France, tantalizing pizzas feature ingredients such as ham and mushrooms or goat cheese with honey. Spain offers chorizo and peppers to customize your pizza, while Germany adds a unique twist by topping its creations with sauerkraut or potato slices. Seafood lovers can enjoy shrimp and mussels in their pies in these countries too!
- – While consuming pizza, you may encounter diverse customs too. In many European nations, it’s usual to cut the pizza with a fork and knife instead of picking it up by hand – especially if you’re in a more elegant eatery.
- – If you decide to eat pizza with your hands, note that some countries may find it impolite or unhygienic. To avoid any potential social faux pas in these nations, use a napkin or slice of bread as a makeshift handle when eating the pizza.
- – When dining around the globe, it’s important to bear in mind that pizza is not always prepared and served identically. For instance, you might receive a thin and crispy crust when ordering your slice in Germany but find yourself with a thick, doughy base while visiting Greece!
Wherever you may be, the one universal truth is that pizza is an enjoyable and delectable meal to share with friends or family. From France, Spain or Germany, savour each morsel of your pizza while indulging in the unique flavours and customs of every country’s distinctive pizzeria culture.
How to eat pizza in public?
So, you’re out in public and you’re craving some pizza – who can blame you? Eating pizza in public can be a bit tricky, though. Messy, saucy slices aren’t exactly the easiest thing to gracefully consume in front of others. But don’t worry, with a few tips and tricks, you can totally have your slice and eat it too.
- – First, let’s talk about the best way to hold your slice. You’ll want to use both hands, but not like you’re about to take a bite out of a sandwich. Instead, fold your slice in half lengthwise, and then hold it with your fingers bent at the middle knuckles. This will give you more control over your slice, and it’ll help prevent any toppings from falling off.
- – Next, take small, manageable bites. Pizza is meant to be enjoyed, so don’t feel like you need to shove the whole slice in your mouth at once. Take your time, and enjoy the flavours with each bite. And don’t forget to chew with your mouth closed!
- – If you’re worried about making a mess, use a napkin or a paper plate to catch any drips or crumbs. And if you’re really feeling self-conscious, you can always lean over your plate a bit to catch any falling toppings.
- – Don’t be afraid to embrace your love of pizza! Sure, it might not be the most elegant food to eat in public, but who cares? Pizza is delicious, and if you’re enjoying every bite, that’s all that matters.
Ultimately, there are innumerable ways to experience pizza no matter your location – Europe, the US or even your own kitchen. Every country has its distinct pizza customs that deserve uncovering; however, do not overlook enjoying each and every bite of your delectable slice! Thus dare yourself by sampling multiple types of pizzas throughout your travels and savour them to their fullest extent!